Hawaii is home to many of our country’s Veterans and, because of that, it’s also home to many real estate professionals who specialize in VA Loans. When you’re first starting out on taking advantage of your VA Loan benefit, it may feel overwhelming when trying to determine who you can trust, and you’ll likely encounter many seemingly capable agents.
It’s a good idea to have a few questions ready to ask to determine a real estate agent’s level of experience and knowledge in this type of loan program. Their answers will help you narrow down your options and may give you a clear idea of who your ideal partner in homeownership will be.
1. Are they experienced with VA Loans? This can be uncomfortable or feel like you’re putting someone on the spot, but it’s the most important question to ask an agent. Find out how many Veterans they have worked with, and what their success has been. You’ll want to work with someone who knows the ins and outs on this type of loan.
2. How long have they been in the industry? While someone who is just starting out may still be a great agent to work with, you’ll want to be sure they have a proven track record of happy clients to make up for what they lack in years.
3. Do they have client references? There is no better way to determine an agent’s capabilities than hearing directly from their clients. Do your homework; ask if they have any client references they can share with you and look them up online to be sure their online reputation backs these up.
4. How do they communicate with clients? While it may seem like a trivial detail, making sure you’re on the same page with your agent in regard to communication can ease any anxiety you might feel throughout the many steps in the process. Ask how they communicate, and how frequently you can expect to get updates.
5. What is their current client load? You likely won’t be an agent’s sole client, but great agents will make you feel like you are and will be upfront with how many clients they are currently working with. If someone is stretched too thin, it may be better for both of you to work with someone else.
Investing the time in finding the right partner in homeownership will save you time, money and potential headaches for years to come. If you’re ready to begin your journey to homeownership by utilizing your VA Loan benefit, we’d be proud to work with you. We partner with a large network of trusted real estate agents who specialize in VA Loans in and around Oahu. Contact us today to get started!